Social media platforms are a great way to connect with your audience, but they can also be a minefield of potential mistakes. Here, we will discuss some common missteps that businesses often make on these platforms. Remember, not all of these are always mistakes, but they are worth keeping in mind as you navigate the social media landscape. If you want to check out our previous posts on the topic, you can see them here (1, 2).
1. Too Much Corporate Speak
While it is okay to maintain a professional tone, overusing corporate jargon can make your posts seem impersonal and out of touch. Social media is all about conversation and connection, so try to keep your language casual and relatable.
Instead of using industry-specific jargon, try to explain your points in a way that anyone could understand. It will not only make your content more accessible, but it also helps to humanize your brand. Your audience is made up of real people with real values, not corporate entities.
Also corporate speak could mean the type of tone and words that seem too out of touch to actually be spoken outside the workplace. If it sounds like it could belong on LinkedIn, you should probably cut it out.
2. Trying Too Hard to Be Trendy
It is not the worst idea to stay up-to-date with the latest trends, but trying too hard to be hip or funny can come off as insincere, forced or straight-up cringe. Authenticity is a big factor on social media, so it is better to stick to what you know and what fits your brand.
Instead of jumping on every trend, focus on creating content that aligns with your brand identity and values. Which will help to build a strong and consistent brand image. Trends come and go real quick and are usually arbitrary, you wanna offer something more than that.
While social media is a great place to promote your products or services, overdoing it can turn off your audience. Social media is a space for engagement and conversation, not just advertising. Make sure to balance promotional content with valuable, engaging posts.
A good rule of thumb is the 90/10 rule: 90% of your content should be customer-focused, while the remaining 10% can be self-promotional. This balance ensures that your audience does not feel overwhelmed by sales pitches and has plenty of opportunities to engage with your brand in a more meaningful way.
4. Lack of CTAs
Not including any Calls to Action (CTAs) is a common mistake. CTAs are crucial for directing your audience towards a desired action, whether that is visiting your website, signing up for a newsletter, or purchasing a product.
Without clear CTAs, your audience may not know what steps to take next, resulting in lost opportunities for engagement or conversion. A well-placed CTA can be the difference between a passive viewer and an active participant in your brand story.
5. Repetitive Content
Repetitive content in a repetitive tone can quickly bore your audience. Try to mix up your content types and tones to keep things fresh and engaging. That could entail incorporating different forms of content like videos, infographics, or polls. Experiment with different content formats and see what resonates most with your audience.
6. Overextending Your Presence
Being on too many platforms or having multiple profiles on the same platform can spread your resources too thin and confuse or frustrate your audience. It can get really overbearing, just one brand clogging up all the timelines.
It is better to focus on a few platforms where you can consistently produce high-quality content and effectively engage with your audience. Each platform has its own unique features and audience, so it is important to tailor your strategy to each one. Quality over quantity is a good mantra to follow when it comes to your social media presence.
7. Not Boosting Useful Posts
If you have a post that is performing well, not boosting it can be a missed opportunity. Boosting can help your content reach a wider audience and increase engagement. However, it is important to be strategic about which posts you boost. Consider factors like the post relevance, engagement rate, and potential for conversion. A boosted post can act like a beacon, drawing in new followers and customers to your brand.
Social media is largely about trial and error. What works for one brand might not work for another. The important thing is to keep learning, experimenting, and adjusting your strategy as needed.